sinagoga manduria
interno sinagoga manduria

 In Apulia the Jews became widespread during the Norman - Swabian. Affluent communities were present in Lecce, Brindisi and Oria as well. Prospera was also that of Taranto, where in 1165 there were about three hundred people. Jewish presence also did not fail when the Swabians still reigned, in cities such as Trani, Barletta, Andria, Corato, Alberobello, Nardo and Manduria. In the latter city, as reported by the local priest and historian Leonardo Tarentines, the Jewish "existence was here from the thirteenth to the seventeenth century." It is not to be believed, as reported by the student as a result, that area of the old town was isolated from the rest of Manduria. In fact, the Jews, even though they are separate communities, lived in an area close to the main church, later identified with the term Giudecca. Which set of houses, the Giudecca should not be confused with the ghetto. This fact was established and widespread in Christendom with the Bull of Paul IV Cum nimis absurdum of 1555, when most of the Jews had been expelled from the Kingdom of Naples, and consisted of a neighborhood surrounded by walls and communicating with the rest of the city through some doors closed at night and guarded by guards to prevent Christians from entering it. La Giudecca, on the other hand, was always characterized by spontaneous aggregate of Jewish homes around the synagogue, the heart of the community. Manduria also had a synagogue, transformed in the seventeenth century manor house with an elegant doorway, now walled up, but it has fourteen floral decorative elements, seven on one side and seven on the other, divided in the middle by a mask with probable apotropaic value. Obvious reference to the symbolism of the Hebrew through the number 7, which is repeated twice in the stone tiles, and we find, for example, in the menorah, a typical seven-branched candlestick. The Jews of Manduria, who was known by the name of Casalnuovo, knew first strong jolt at the end of the thirteenth century, when Charles II of Anjou, with deft political strategy - economic, he made sure to insulate more and more Jewish communities of the kingdom, allowing newbies Christians significant tax exemptions. That is at least 34 members of the Jewish community went, in 1294, the Catholic religion. But it was the pragmatic ejection in November 1510 that the Jewish communities of southern Italy received a blow. Later Jewish neighborhoods were isolated from the rest of the city. Even in Manduria, reports Tarentines were built doors that closed the quarter by isolating it from the rest of the town: "There are still three large arches tuffs that clutched the Ghetto - writes Tarentines - The first place to the south and is seen again engraved on the beam placed in the top of the lintel, 1602. the second and third in the East to the West, reporting to the ancient way of Prisons old. These arches were catered to their ports and an ancient tradition tells us that the local authorities of the city at 24 every night clenched in those key ports, riaprendole at sunrise the following morning. This was a necessary measure to prevent the Jews propaganda night of their religion "

 

Visit by appointment
For info 3358431214
GPS: 40.400136, 17.637138

 
Close